Finance Support Manager, Finance Resource Center
Job ID: 52513
Location: All United States
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Office Location: Arlington, Virginia, USA
This position is open to remote work in all locations within the United States. Arlington, VA is TNC’s headquarters.
Who We Are
The mission of The Nature Conservancy (TNC) is to conserve the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, we develop innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest environmental challenges so that people and nature can thrive. Our work is guided by our values, which include a commitment to diversity and respect for people, communities, and cultures. From a rewarding mission to career development and flexible schedules, there are many reasons to love life ## insideTNC. Want to know more? Check out our TNC Talent playlist on YouTube to hear stories from staff or visit Glassdoor.
One of TNC’s primary goals is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that employees around the globe have a sense of belonging and feel that their unique contributions are valued. We know we’ll only achieve our mission by hiring and engaging a diverse staff that reflects the communities in which we work. Recognizing that people bring talent and skills that have been developed outside the scope of a job, we take a holistic approach to recruitment that considers life experience in addition to the professional requirements listed in our postings. Please apply we’d love to hear from you. To quote a popular saying at TNC, you’ll join for the mission, and you’ll stay for the people.
What We Can Achieve Together
The Finance Support Manager for The Nature Conservancy’s Finance Resource Center is responsible for providing process leadership and analytical support to project teams within The Nature Conservancy, primarily related to Finance business processes. The Finance Resource Center (FRC) is dedicated to providing the tools, information and training that Conservancy staff and trustees need to interpret and utilize our financial resources in order to support our global conservation mission. The Finance Support Manager is also responsible for developing written and verbal communications on Finance business processes and responding to requests for technical accounting and analysis expertise. They will work in all areas of finance and will work with other members of the FRC to provide tools, resources, communication, and support to TNC finance staff based on TNC policies and procedures.
The Finance Support Manager will work towards meeting strategic priorities by developing communications and support programs that build TNC staff knowledge in the area of Finance. They will lead discussions to on board new global Finance staff in relevant processes. They will be the contact for specific Finance procedures, including but not limited to: Revenue, Land, and Fixed Assets. They will participate in specialized intra-BU teams to identify areas of business process improvement. They will analyze factual information to achieve results, improve workflow, and solve problems. They will work on issues where analysis of situations or data may lead to recommendations that require suggesting new strategies or knowledge/skills. They will reinforce consistency in the organization’s policies and procedures and will provide support related to Finance business processes. The Manager will maintain expert knowledge of the systems and resources utilized by the team, applying knowledge to managing organization support and planning communications related to the resources. They will manage documentation, initiate complex processes, and serve as key team member for the enhancement of systems and tools used by the team. They will lead diverse activities, analyze situations, evaluate alternatives, project outcomes, and implement solutions to improve effectiveness.
Responsibilities & Scope
- Works toward meeting the strategic priorities of the program by developing and coordinating tactics for approved plans, completing and/or overseeing day-to-day tasks.
- Manages and implements multiple projects.
- Ensures the programmatic work is collaborative and well-integrated across organization.
- Reports to leadership on activities.
- Manage accountability for strategic goals related to functional area.
- Exercise independent judgment to identify and solve complex problems; work checked through consultation and agreement with others rather than by directives of superiors.
- Demonstrate sensitivity in handling confidential information.
- Decisions may have program-wide impact and may bind the organization financially or legally.
- Design and manage multiple projects, managing budget, setting deadlines, and ensuring accountability.
- Design and plan new initiatives that will ensure department and organization-wide goals and strategies are achieved.
- Minimize legal risk to the Conservancy and ensure legal compliance with applicable state and local regulation.
- Ensure programmatic commitments, Conservancy policies and procedures, and financial standards are met and managed for compliance.
- Take leadership role on interdepartmental teams to coordinate the work of peers.
- Work environment involves only infrequent exposure to disagreeable elements and minor physical exertion and/or strain.
- Reinforces consistency in the organization’s policies and procedures and provides support related to relevant field.
We’re Looking for You
Are you looking for work you can believe in? At TNC we strive to embody a philosophy of Work that You Can Believe in where you can feel like you are making a difference every day. We’re looking for someone with strong experience in leading a diverse, multi-disciplinary team.
The ideal candidate should have exceptional communication and collaboration skills and experience in management of data and personnel. This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the ongoing mission of conservation by directing and shaping the work of our team!
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or Business Administration and 5 years related experience or equivalent combination.
- Experience leading and implementing multiple projects.
- Experience with GAAP
- Experience with current technology in relevant field.
- Experience working with teams across organizations.
- Experience working with accounting principles, financial interpretation, practices, and analysis.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experiences are appreciated.
- Ability to work in partnership with others in a collaborative or advisory role.
- Expertise in Revenue, Assets, and Year End Close Processes
- Experience with technical accounting and analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to conceive and write creatively for various audiences and excellent presentation skills.
- Experience in learning needs assessment, working with subject matter experts, and defining solutions.
- Certified Public Accountant or equivalent certification.
What We Bring
Since 1951, TNC has been doing work you can believe in. Through grassroots action, we have grown from a small non-profit into one of the most effective and wide-reaching environmental organizations in the world. Thanks to more than 1 million members, over 400 scientists, and the dedicated efforts of our diverse staff and partners, we impact conservation around the world!
TNC offers a competitive, comprehensive benefits package including health care benefits, flexible spending accounts, a 401(k) plan with an 8% employer match, parental leave, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, employee assistance program, other life and work well-being benefits.
We’re proud to offer a flexible work environment that supports of the health and well-being of the people we employ.
The Nature Conservancy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our conservation mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and culture. Recruiting and mentoring staff to create an inclusive organization that reflects our global character is a priority and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, military, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
Do you have military experience? Visit our U.S. Military Skills Translator to match your military experience with our current job openings!
TNC is committed to offering accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application process.
Where legally permissible, TNC requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated and willing to keep up to date with vaccines that protect against COVID-19. By accepting an offer of employment, you agree to comply with this requirement, unless you are entitled to a legally mandated exemption.
An attractive salary and benefits package is part of TNC’s value proposition to our employees. TNC strives to provide competitive pay and bases salaries on the geographic location of the role while committing to closing the gender pay gap and providing hiring salary ranges when possible.
Since we support flexible and remote work for our employees, many positions have a flexible location within countries where we’re registered as a Non-government Organization and established as an employer. This may mean we’re unable to provide a hiring salary range in the posting for some of our positions. However, candidates invited to be part of our interview process will be provided their location specific range upon request.