Title: Head of Engineering
Location: United States (remote)
WHO ARE WE?
Launch Potato is a digital media company with a portfolio of brands and technologies. As The Discovery and Conversion Company, Launch Potato’s mission is to be the most innovative, tech-enabled media company connecting consumers to the world’s leading brands.
The company is headquartered in vibrant downtown Delray Beach, Florida, with a unique international team across more than a dozen countries. Launch Potato’s success comes from a diverse, energetic culture and high-performing, entrepreneurial team.
We need someone like you to help build and scale Launch Potato’s engineering team. In this role, you will own the Engineering function, a team of 15 engineers growing quickly. Your engineering team will be responsible for all of LP’s brands and platforms. In addition, you will work closely with your team and business stakeholders to define and implement a healthy and progressive product and technology strategy that improves our reach and impact on the business.
You will also drive impact through engineers who report to you by promoting sound engineering practices, driving work on technical strategy and roadmaps, regularly assessing the technical state of teams, advocating for standard methodologies broadly, and providing focused mentoring to teams.
You will make sure that our solutions are scalable, balanced, and architecturally sound, ensuring that technical debt is both incurred consciously and repaid in a reasonable time. You will make decisions balancing providing value to the business and incurring technical debt vs. investing the effort early on to build a robust and scalable product.
You will work cross-functionally with passionate, brilliant individuals with tons of learning, growth, and mentorship opportunities. We are an extremely fun and tight-knit team (our company retreats are fabulous), so we are very selective about who we hire to ensure our company values remain high.
OBJECTIVES & KEY RESULTS
- Establish the technical vision and long-term technology strategy for Launch Potato.
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, and other leaders to build high-quality products.
- Establish trust with your team and stakeholders.
- Initiate, influence and drive technical projects across teams within Launch Potato.
- Define the technical capabilities required to achieve our product strategy.
- Build a scalable engineering organization that enables individual growth at all levels.
- Attract, recruit, vet, hire, and retain high-value engineering talent.
- Establish an engineering culture aligned with our company core values.
- Enable learning and knowledge sharing across the organization, leveling up our engineering practices and mentoring other specialists.
- Establish a consistent, efficient, and successful onboarding process for new engineering talent.
- Lead, coach, and mentor the versatile engineers who architect, develop, and support all of our products.
- Manage and monitor all technical expenses.
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- Have built a scalable engineering organization from ~20 to ~50+ with a culture that attracted and retained the absolute best talent
- You have experience mentoring and supporting peers and engineering teams, fostering the best engineering practices.
- You are passionate about what you do and have a high interest in keeping up with current best practices in your areas of expertise.
- You have experience managing managers with success leading and inspiring through others.
- As a great influencer with great communication skills, you love sharing your knowledge with others and helping them grow.
- You have proven experience as a technical leader of an engineering organization that drives significant impact
- Proven success in delivering technology products in a high-growth environment.
- You possess a deep understanding of how to translate product and business goals into tech strategies, you are comfortable being 100% aligned with the business.
- You have a good understanding of system design, and experience leading staff and principal engineers.
- Prior to becoming a technical leader, you have extensive experience working hands-on as a Software Engineer in an agile environment.
- Ability to handle shifting priorities and showing strong judgment in prioritization when working in a fast-paced environment
- Data-driven decision-making and quantitative analysis skills with data analysis tools
- Fluent in Agile
Nice to have
- Industry experience in digital advertising, digital media, or affiliate marketing
- Experience in M&A, i.e. merging new technologies or engineering teams through acquisitions
- You possess technical leadership knowledge where you can showcase your expertise by speaking at both internal and external conferences.
OUR CURRENT TECH STACK IS
Frontend languages and Libraries
- Vanilla JS, Next.js, HTML5
- Webpack, Node.js
- Tailwind, Scss
- Jest, Puppeteer
- Linux/Ubuntu, Nginx, Docker, AWS
- Postgresql, Memcached, Redis
- S3, Athena, Kinesis
- CircleCI, New Relic, Sentry
- Slack (our GIF game is strong)
Want to make your impact in a profitable, high-growth company? Apply now!
From Day One, we’ve been committed to having a diverse, inclusive team and culture. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity company. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.