Senior Design Research Manager
remote type Remote or Hybrid
locations Remote – United States (Excludes: CO, HI, NM, NYC)
time type Full time
job requisition id R0057470
Looking for a company that inspires passion, courage and creativity, where you can be on the team shaping the future of global commerce? Want to shape how millions of people buy, sell, connect, and share around the world? If you’re interested in joining a purpose driven community that is dedicated to crafting an ambitious and inclusive work environment, join eBay – a company you can be proud to be with.
eBay is a global commerce leader that shapes how the world buys, sells, and gives. You’ll be part of a work culture that’s been genuinely committed to diversity and inclusion since its founding more than 25 years ago. Here, you can just be yourself, do your best work and have an important impact on people across the globe. We are looking for people with drive, ideas and a passion for supporting small businesses succeed to help shape the future of eBay—does this sound like you? If so, we’d love to talk to you!
About the team:
Human-centered insights and a deep understanding of people and cultures are critical to how we do our best work. Our team of Design Researchers guide design partners and cross-functional teams at eBay to discover, interpret and communicate insights and opportunities in an inspiring way, while contributing to all phases of the design process.
We’re looking for a driven leader who is radically inspired by people and excels at leading the charge of gathering and communicating insights that put our users at the center of our product thinking. The ideal candidate loves working with peers and leaders to mine for insights that drive elegant solutions to tough problems. This people leader is a talent magnet and a pro at driving and developing their research team’s practice.
In this role, you will work within the Design org, alongside partners from Product Management, Engineering, Marketing, Analytics and other core teams to ensure your research team is optimized to develop key insights to drive great experiences. You will support your team of talented Design Researchers in designing, planning, conducting, and socializing user research across a spectrum of methodologies. You are a strong influencer and promoter within and outside the Design organization, as well as an external face for eBay’s Design Research team.
- Lead a motivated, talented team of Design Researchers, providing research leadership, career development guidance and mentorship along the way.
- Drive a mixed-methods research practice, gathering both generative and evaluative insights on designs and concepts. Methods include but are not limited to: in-depth user interviews, in-lab and field studies, online surveys, diary studies, usability testing, moderated and un-moderated remote testing, customer journey mapping, personas, benchmarking, heuristic evaluations, as well as stakeholder interviews.
- Cultivate and manage partnerships with cross-functional partners (Design, Product Management, Marketing, Analytics, and various Business Units), being a user insights thought leader.
- Establish and maintain an efficient strategy for scoping research, execution, and sharing insights to ensure velocity and visibility across internal partners.
- Monitor the impact of insights generated by the team and take part in leading the always-growing Design Research practice at eBay.
- Define and lead initiatives that contribute to the maturity of our research practice.
- Manage budget and maintain a healthy bench of external vendors for specific needs.
- Proven people leader with experience in all aspects of managing teams.
- 8+ years of experience in an applied user research setting.
- 5+ years of experience in managing user research/product research teams.
- 2+ years of experience in managing research managers.
- Advanced Degree in Human Factors, Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive or Experimental Psychology, Cognitive Science or a related field.
- Consistent track record of building and curating user research programs, employing a range of methodologies.
- Practical experience in deploying qualitative and quantitative research methods throughout the product development lifecycle, from ideation to launch.
- Ability to solve complex problems and support the team in delivery of insights.
- Strong communication skills, experienced influencer, and advocate for user research.
Benefits are an essential part of your total compensation for the work you do every day. Whether you’re single, in a growing family, or nearing retirement, eBay offers a variety of comprehensive and competitive benefit programs to meet your needs. Including maternal & paternal leave, paid sabbatical, and plans to help ensure your financial security today and in the years ahead because we know feeling financially secure during your working years and through retirement is important.
Here at eBay, we love creating opportunities for others by connecting people from widely diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and geographies. So, being diverse and inclusive isn’t just something we strive for, it is who we are and part of what we do each and every single day. We want to ensure that as an employee, you feel eBay is a place where, no matter who you are, you feel safe, included and that you have the opportunity to bring your unique self to work. To learn about eBay’s Diversity & Inclusion click here:
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at [email protected] We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible. View our accessibility info to learn more about eBay’s commitment to ensuring digital accessibility for people with disabilities. For more information see: EEO is the Law Poster and EEO is the Law Poster Supplement.
Jobs posted with location as “Remote – United States (Excludes CO, HI, NM, NYC)” excludes residents of Colorado, Hawaii, New Mexico and New York City.