Senior Legal Counsel – Procurement and Supply Chain
Remote – North America
job requisition id
This is a remote position that could be based anywhere in the United States
The Senior Legal Counsel position is a full-time role and will serve as a key member of the Calix legal team with primary focus on procurement and supply chain while managing and partnering with the business teams on a variety of commercial contracts and negotiations working cross-functionally across the Calix organization. We are looking for a strong team player motivated to be part of a growing companysomeone with a builder mentality who is nimble and creative, with demonstrated agility in delivering results in a dynamic environment. As part of a small legal team, the attorney must be collaborative and collegial with a willingness to support the continuous development of the legal function and related programs in a variety of areas in collaboration with the other attorneys.
Reporting to the Associate Vice President of Legal- Business Transactions Team, this attorney will have substantial responsibility representing the company in contract negotiations working directly with business partners across different functions, drafting and closing of transactions, and advising on a range of commercial and related matters, legal risk considerations and overall risk management. This is a Director level position that requires a strong foundation of legal knowledge and extensive experience in handling technology company procurement and supply chain commercial transactions together with the ability to balance legal advocacy with strategic objectives, excellent drafting and communications skills, and strong business acumen, with exceptional organization and attention to detail. The attorney will be looked upon to collaborate effectively across functions, prioritize to meet business deadlines and drive projects to completion. The ideal candidate will be collaborative, business-minded and team-oriented, with a willingness to roll-up the sleeves and pitch in and to work effectively within a dynamic and growing environment.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Review, negotiate and draft a wide variety of procurement and supply chain agreements including software licensing, SaaS, master purchase agreements, master services agreements and related statements of work, evaluation agreements and professional services agreements.
- Advise and collaborate with internal teams, including engineering, sales and marketing, supply chain, HR, IT, Finance, and professional services teams, on a full range of issues related to contracting procurement activities related to hardware, licensing, and cloud subscription services.
- Collaborate closely with business teams across different functions and apply appropriate judgment and problem-solving skills to achieve deal objectives.
- Advise and represent company’s interests including working effectively with outside counsel where relevant.
- Assist in the continued development and revisions to procurement agreements to support the legal function.
- Drive implementation of continuous improvements for scalable and effective processes, including the contracting process.
- Other projects and duties in support of legal function.
- Calix requires all employees based in North America who will work onsite at a Calix office, attend in-person meetings, and/or travel on behalf of Calix to be fully vaccinated. Calix will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required under applicable law.
- 7+ years of procurement contract and business law experience, primarily with technology companies, including 3+ years at a national or top regional law firm; commercial arbitration and litigation experience a plus.
- J.D. from accredited U.S. law school and active bar membership in good standing.
- Extensive experience drafting and negotiating procurement and supply chain agreements with suppliers and technology providers in the telecommunications and/or technology space, with a record of outstanding achievement.
- Demonstrated skills as a strong negotiator with the ability to navigate through complex agreements with minimal supervision and to work independently to represent the company in identifying and effectively addressing risks and nonstandard terms.
- Track record of exercising sound judgment in advising and recommending risk mitigation in a wide range of business transactions.
- Good understanding and knowledge of subject areas relevant to technology contracts, including intellectual property rights, software licensing, service level agreements, data rights and privacy laws and regulations, data breach and security standards and requirements, supply chain continuity and transition services.
- Outstanding legal drafting and written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound legal judgment, business decision-making and problem-solving skills in a variety of business and commercial situations.
- Excellent work ethic, with strong track record of professionalism, maturity, and collegiality.
- Demonstrated ability to work self-sufficiently to prioritize and manage workload and close projects against tight deadlines while thriving in a fast-paced environment.
- Unquestioned ethics and professional integrity with a high level of accountability, coupled with strong organizational skills.
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills and ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional groups.
- Solid working knowledge of MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Acrobat Pro and database systems.
- Remote-based position located in the United States.