Senior Medical Editor
Cary, North Carolina
MedThink, a Fingerpaint company, offers extensive medical communications through two distinct divisions: MedThink SciCom, which harnesses deep scientific knowledge and extensive industry experience to develop solutions for medical affairs, medical communications, and publication groups, and MedThink Communications, which provides healthcare communications and marketing services to commercial teams that leverage performance-driven medical education to enhance HCP beliefs and understanding.
Moving Minds. Moving Markets. Moving Medicine.
Our Uniqueness and Expectations of Future THINKERS…
Help Colleagues Do Their Best
Infuse Optimism and Fun
Keep an Open Mind
Objectives of This Role:
We seek a qualified individual to fill the position of Senior Medical Editor. A Senior Medical Editor is responsible for ensuring that medical communication materials are developed with a high level of quality regarding content, organization, clarity, accuracy, format, style, and consistency. A Senior Medical Editor is skilled in and performs all levels of editing, including copyediting, substantive editing, fact-checking, proofreading, styling, and layout review.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Copyedit materials to ensure consistency and conformance with established grammar, punctuation, and spelling rules and adherence to American Medical Association (AMA), client, and house style guidelines
- Substantively edit complex medical and scientific documents and collaborate with colleagues to ensure that the materials are factually accurate
- Proofread layout materials to ensure that they match approved copy exactly and that the format, organization, alignment, and spacing of copy and graphics are consistent and adhere to established standards
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure an overall high level of quality regarding content, organization, clarity, accuracy, format, style, and consistency; meet established timelines
- Perform lead editor role for product account(s)
- Edit the following types of materials: manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed medical/scientific journals; abstracts, posters, slide decks, and handouts for presentation at scientific meetings; disease education materials; scientific platforms; digital content (eg, websites, animations, interactive PDFs); medical information letters; sales training materials; white papers; etc
- Identify copyrighted material that requires permission for reproduction; process permission request when required
- Help assess need for, as well as contribute to, creation or revision of departmental and company resource materials and processes
- Support departmental senior management on departmental and company initiatives
- Attend kickoff, status, and other job-related meetings
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum), preferably in English, communications, journalism, or health sciences field
- 5 years of professional medical/science editing experience, including fact-checking
- Healthcare communications agency experience is preferred but not required
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
- Strong medical editing skills, including substantive editing, fact-checking, researching, and referencing skills, and knowledge of AMA Manual of Style, 11th edition
- Thorough understanding of grammar rules and comprehension of medical, pharmaceutical, and scientific terminology
- Strong skills in time management, prioritizing, organizing, researching, and problem-solving, with attention to detail and ability to adhere to deadlines
- Proficiency with standard software: Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook; Adobe Acrobat
Reports to: Editorial Director
Job Application Process: Candidates who meet the job qualifications will be asked to take a standardized medical editing assessment to demonstrate proficiency level.
Fingerpaint provides equal employment [and affirmative action] opportunities to all applicants and employees. We are proud to recruit qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, ethnic or national origin, protected veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, or citizenship status.
Don’t meet every single requirement? That’s okay! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Fingerpaint, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles! Our team of qualified recruiters can match you with the right opportunity.