Senior People Partner
ALL SOURCEGRAPH ROLES ARE FULLY REMOTE
Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. Our code intelligence platform helps developers and companies with billions of lines of code create the software you use every day. By enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunity across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our business is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced exponential growth and our $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code intelligence yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–just like Google). By continuing to hire exceptional people, we have the opportunity to make Sourcegraph one of the biggest technology companies in the world.
Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role. However, we prefer if your working hours overlap with US Time Zones.
Why this job is exciting
Sourcegraph is in a stage of growth where it’s critical for us to provide support and coaching to our managers and ensure they’re growing and getting the best from their people. You’ll also be working closely with our bigger People team to help build out and enhance our hiring, onboarding, learning, impact management, compensation, wellbeing and innovation initiatives.
Our best people thrive in fast-paced, constantly-changing environments where anyone can raise ideas, take ownership of challenges, challenge leaders’ thinking and apply high agency to getting the best work done.
We’d be looking to you to:
- Be a thought-sharing and coaching partner to our managers, guiding them on their strategies for retaining and leveraging the talent on their teams: how to make sure their onboarding and training initiatives are effective, how to assess the level of impact of each person on the team and ensure they are compensated at the right level, how to ensure their people are creating balance, taking rest and applying agency over their work, how best to address underperformance, and all the little bits of guidance in between.
- Collaborating with our cross-functional People team to develop, enhance and launch people-facing initiatives that meet the needs of our teams and help us retain and grow the best people.
- Identifying – and acting on – trends and opportunities that point to better ways of doing things as we scale
- Challenging managers on their thinking, and guiding them on difficult conversations when it’s appropriate to do so
- Acting as an advocate and guardian of our culture and guiding teammates and managers to apply our values in their daily decisions.
Within one month, you will
- Have completed the onboarding process yourself, and understand what it looks like for other parts of the business
- Build relationships with each member of the team and understand how the team supports the company and works together
- Understand the team’s quarterly objectives and get an idea of how you contribute to the team
- Connected with each of the managers in the business to build a relationship and begin to understand their needs
- Get up to speed with all our guidelines, benefits and ways of working.
Within three months, you will…
- Have a clear sense of how you contribute to the success of the team and the bigger company
- Have a solid understanding of all our systems and how they work together
- Be autonomously helping managers with day-to-day guidance and coaching on their people strategies and initiatives, as well as providing effective coaching and HR support around challenging situations and people dynamics
- Start contributing new insights to inform People team initiatives, and taking the lead if appropriate
Within six months, you will…
- Be a trusted advisor to your teams, informing their people strategies and connecting this to team initiatives with ease and flow, helping the People team offer an exceptional service to the business.
- Be leading our in-house manager training and liaising with our L&D function to help ensure that our opportunities touch the right things.
You are a seasoned HR People Partner with a recommended 8 years’ experience in a people-partnering role within a fast-paced, high-change environment like Tech. You’re skilled at building trust with experienced and first-time managers, and you know how to help them make sense of the opportunities and challenges of management. You are available to help our US-based managers in their timezones, have a strong track record of interpreting and applying the appropriate sections of applicable US laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances, and policies, to people situations as appropriate.
Managers and teammates seek your day-to-day advice, and your strategic input and guidance on bigger initiatives relating to their people. You balance objectivity with empathy, and logic with creativity, to help us find the right solution for everyone involved. You aren’t afraid to challenge the status quo, can help others navigate ambiguity and always approach challenges mindful of the impact on our company culture, values and teammate morale. You are willing to help with day-to-day tasks as we scale and figure out what the future looks like. You communicate with warmth and influence, and are comfortable practicing HR in an asynchronous environment where meetings are used only if necessary and written documentation is default.
Interview process [~5 hour total interview]
Click here to read more information in our Handbook about the types of interviews we use at Sourcegraph.
- Intro Conversation Stage – we have initial conversations to get to know you better
- [30 min] Recruiter Screen
- [45 min] Hiring Manager Screen
- [60 min] Resume Deep Dive
- Team Interview Stage – we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team
- [45 min] Working Session
- [45 min] Cross-functional Peer interview with a fellow People Partner
- Final Interview Stage – we move you to our final round, where you will gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically
- [30 min] Values Interview
- [30 min] Co-founder interview
- We check 2 references
- And that’s it! Please note – you are welcome to request additional conversations with anyone you would like to meet, but didn’t get to meet during the interview process.
- We make you an offer!
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If this job sounds great, but you’re not sure if you qualify, apply anyway! We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
We provide competitive compensation and practical benefits to keep you happy and healthy so that you can do your best work.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.