Title: Tutor Manager
Location: Remote (US or Canada)
Driven by the mission to democratize education, Paper is the largest provider of educational support, supporting millions of students through partnerships with thousands of school districts. Paper helps deliver true educational equity through their category leading Educational Support System (ESS) that offers virtual access to 24/7 tutors and essay reviewers. Founded in 2014, Paper philosophically believes that all students should be given the tools and resources to reach their academic potential, independent of socio-economic status, geography, language or other barriers. We are headquartered in Montreal, Quebec with remote employees across the US and Canada. Paper is proud to have been named by GSV as one of the most transformational growth companies in digital learning.
Tutor Managers are responsible for ensuring that every student who comes to Paper receives exceptionally high-quality academic support from our tutors. They are responsible for providing personalized management for a team of tutors (front-line, student-facing employees) and guiding their professional development and growth within the company. Tutor Managers oversee performance, onboarding, support, and career advancement for Paper’s tutors, which involves collaborating with the broader Operations, HR, and Teaching & Learning teams.
- Ensure that every Paper student has an exceptional experience with their tutor
- Manage a high-volume team of tutor employees and make informed decisions on training and support needs
- Consistently manage tutor performance: Provide guidance, structured performance reviews, and ongoing feedback to ensure a culture of high performance
- Carefully monitor interactions between tutors and students and quickly and effectively address interactions of concern.
- Maintain team productivity and morale and take steps to keep tutor retention strong
- Ensure that tutors are satisfied in their roles, and execute on ways to continuously increase tutor engagement
- Ensure the smooth dissemination of existing and new policies and procedures as well as departmental and corporate best-practices throughout the tutor team
- Recognize gaps in skills or subject knowledge and offer training and coaching to improve tutor performance
- Contribute to and participate in cross-team educational initiatives to advance the development of the wider tutoring community.
- Work with the People Operations team to identify and reward exemplary performance, and address matters of unsatisfactory performance
- Identify efficiency roadblocks and opportunities for process improvement, and escalate when appropriate
- Uphold and embody Paper’s mission, vision, and values and instill these values in tutor team members.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years of experience working in management, especially for front-line, customer-facing employees and teams
- Proven ability to work autonomously and as part of a team
- Ability to work in a high volume setting
- Comfort dealing with ambiguity, and making order out of chaos
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial or growth-oriented mindset
- Established listening, team-building, and coaching skills
- Ability to objectively evaluate challenging and/or sensitive topics with empathy and understanding.
- Comfort understanding trends in data, and making data-driven decisions
- Passion for education and community development
- We’re remote-first
- But we still want to meet you, so we’ll fly you in for annual meetups (sometimes more)
- We’re growing fast, and so will your career
- Monthly stipend to support the growth of your home office
- Unlimited access to tutoring and educational support for children of Paper employees
- Benefits, retirement plan (+ match), stock options, and more
Paper offers an exciting, dynamic, inclusive work environment putting excellence at the center of everything we do. Our mission is woven into the fabric of our culture, challenging our team to build meaningful and creative solutions.
We thrive when we collaborate with each other, and use integrity and selflessness to align our business decisions with our mission. We approach every challenge with positivity, achieving the outcome we want regardless of what gets in the way. Our tenacity propels our hyper-growth, where trust is key and we all strive to make an impact every day.
We believe that diverse teams build better products. Paper does not and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender orientation, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status in any of its activities or operations.
Nobody checks every box, but the Paper team is built by passionate and innovative people who share our mission for democratizing education. If you don’t think you meet all of the requirements above but are still interested in the job, please apply.
PS. Equity is our mission! We make sure to treat all candidates equally: If you are interested please apply through our job board – our amazing talent team will reach out! Our team isn’t able to pass on any calls/ emails our way – and this makes sure that the candidate experience is smooth and fair to everyone.